The Web Privacy Notice is an agreement between Scholastic Canada Ltd. and visitors of our Site. If you do not agree to the terms of this policy, please do not use this Site. The following policy applies to the Scholastic.ca Site.
Scholastic Canada Ltd. is committed to protecting the privacy and security of its online visitors. This policy statement provides our visitors (e.g., parents, teachers and children) with an overview of the measures we have taken to provide a safe environment for everyone.
PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
We only collect personally identifiable information from our visitors 13 years old or above when such visitors voluntarily submit such information.
With respect to visitors under 13 years of age, we do not collect personally identifiable information without first obtaining verifiable parental consent, unless we only use such information to: (1) obtain parental consent or provide parents with notice that we have collected information from their children; (2) respond directly on a one-time basis to a child's specific request; (3) respond more than once to a child's specific request along with providing parental notice of such use; (4) protect the safety of a child; or (5) comply with legal requirements. The consent and notification process mentioned above gives parents the ability to let us know if they do not want us to make further use of the personally identifiable information we have collected from their child.
We may request personally identifiable information from children in connection with our contests, sweepstakes, games, surveys, forums, subscription registrations, content submissions, classroom activities, requests for suggestions, and visitors' requests for free products, services (such as our magazines) or additional information. We collect such information so that we can contact a winner, answer questions or requests, and fulfil orders, as applicable. Unless we indicate otherwise, personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 will be used solely by Scholastic Canada Ltd. or its agents for internal purposes and will not be sold or otherwise transferred to third parties.
It is Scholastic Canada Ltd.'s policy never to post on its Site more than four (4) pieces of information pertaining to any child (i.e. a child's first name, first initial of last name, province and age).
There are many activities on the Scholastic Canada Ltd. site that children can participate in and enjoy without having to share personally identifiable information.
Parents can request to review, amend, update or have deleted their child's personally identifiable information from Scholastic Canada Ltd.'s records, and refuse to permit further use of a child's information by writing to: Privacy Officer, Scholastic Canada Ltd., 175 Hillmount Road, Markham, Ontario M5V1E1, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember to be smart online. Do not give out your full name, e-mail address, home address, telephone number or any other personal information that would enable someone to contact you either online or offline, without first asking your parent or guardian for permission. Sometimes on our Site we will ask you for your first name and e-mail address, along with your parent's e-mail or home address. We do this so that we can contact your parent to let them know that you have communicated with us and that we have collected this information from you.
There are many activities on the Scholastic Canada Ltd. site that are for teachers, which enable teachers to add another dimension to their classroom and students' activities. We use information we collect from you about your preferences to help us improve our website so that it continually responds to the interests of our visitors.
OPT IN AND OPT OUT
You may have the right to opt in to or opt out of certain of our uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. For example, we may ask you if you want to get marketing messages from us when you submit Personal Information to us on the Site. If you do get marketing emails from us, you can tell us you don't want to get them by clicking on the opt-out link in those emails.
Or write to us at: Opt-Out Request, c/o Privacy Officer, Scholastic Canada Ltd., 175 Hillmount Road, Markham, Ontario M5V1E1. Please include your name, address, email and phone number and tell us if you want us to stop sharing your Personal Information with third parties for marketing purposes, or if you want us to stop sending a particular kind of communication. If you are writing about a communication sent to you by Scholastic, please include the name or type of the communication and, if applicable, the name of the specific Scholastic entity or business. It may take us a few days to process any opt-out request.
WHAT INFORMATION IS COLLECTED ON THIS SITE?
"Personal Information" is information that can be used to identify an individual or allow someone to contact an individual. We may collect Personal Information such as:
- postal or physical address
- email address
- telephone number
- photographs, videos or audio recordings
- credit card and other payment information
- certain school/education information
Personal Information may also include information, such as names and email addresses, that we collect from you about other people when you share content on our Site with someone else, purchase a gift, or create a teacher account for a classroom.
We may also collect certain demographic information. We do not generally treat this as Personal Information except when tied to information such as that listed above.
Site Usage Information
When you visit our Site, our servers automatically collect the Internet protocol, or "IP", address associated with your computer, to help us track and resolve issues with Site functionality or administration. An IP address is a string of numbers that is usually controlled by a user's Internet service provider, and automatically assigned when a user's computer connects to the Internet. In some cases, we may get general geographic location information from your IP address.
We may also capture "clickstream data" about your Site usage. Clickstream data includes information about your "clicks" or actions on our Sites, such as what you see or click on during your visit and how you interacted with certain features. It can include information about your computer or device, Web browser and operating system and settings and may include referrer URL information that is automatically passed to us (that is, information about where the user came from before arriving on our Site, which may include search terms in the URL string).
To track information about use of our Sites, we use various technological tools. For example:
- Cookies are small data files sent by a Website or application and stored on your computer or device at the request of that site or app. A cookie stores information related to your browser to enable us to recognize your browser on return visits to our Site and remember your preferences. Most browsers can be set to detect browser cookies and to let you reject them, but refusing cookies may make it difficult to use the Site. To learn more about browser cookies, including how to manage or delete them, look in the Tools, Help or similar section of your Web browser, or visit http://allaboutcookies.org.
- Local shared objects, such as "Flash cookies," may be stored on your computer or device through a media player or other software installed on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
- A pixel tag (also known as a "clear GIF" or "web beacon") is a tiny image - typically just one-pixel - that can be placed on a Web page or in an email to you, to tell us when you have displayed that page or opened that email.
We use third party service providers to assist us in collecting and understanding Site usage information. By using our Site, you agree to our use of these tracking technologies.
Some of our mobile applications may collect information about the location of your mobile device so we can provide location-based services. To manage location services, check the settings on your mobile device or contact your mobile service provider or device manufacturer. Specific mobile applications may include additional terms that relate only to those apps.
HOW IS YOUR INFORMATION USED?
We may use the information we collect from and about you to perform various business functions including, for example:
- authenticating you as a user and enabling you to use the Site
- processing and fulfilling transactions
- maintaining and administering the Site and your account with us
- responding to your requests
- analyzing the Site, making overall Site improvements and developing new features
- sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you
- protecting our rights and property and the rights, property, and safety of others
- investigating suspected fraud or other unlawful activity
- personalizing or customizing our Site to your interests and history with us (for example, remembering items in your shopping cart)
- evaluating email marketing and other campaigns
- tailoring ads displayed to you on our Site and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
- other purposes disclosed when Personal Information is submitted to us
- where otherwise permitted or required by applicable law
To do these things, we may match information collected from you in different ways or at different times, including both Personal Information and Site usage information, and use that information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information.
Some tools on our Site may allow you to share content from our Site through a third party social network. If you use these tools, please be aware that third party social networking services have their own privacy policies, and we encourage you to read them.
DO WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION AND SITE USAGE INFORMATION WITH OTHERS?
Yes. We share the information we collect on the Site with others who need it to provide services and so we can operate or support the Site or our business.
Information sharing also happens when it is a necessary part of certain Site features, such as when you post your information to public areas on the Site where other Site users can see it.
We may also share your Personal Information:
- with our affiliates and third parties for their marketing and other purposes, unless you tell us not to by following the instructions in the OPT IN AND OPT OUT section above
- with our co-sponsor(s) if we obtain your Personal Information in connection with a contest, sweepstakes, offering, or other promotional activity that is jointly offered by us and any third party(ies)
- if you are a registered teacher through us, we may make your name, school name and school location available in an online lookup tool for parents and others, unless you opt out by contacting us at email@example.com (in some cases, your opt-out may not be effective until the next school year)
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property or that of others, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law
- in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business; and due diligence related to the foregoing
- in additional circumstances subject to your consent
In addition, we may share non-personally identifiable Site usage information (including aggregate data) with others, for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
DATA PROCESSING IN THE UNITED STATES
Third parties, such as web analytics companies and social networking platforms, may collect personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across our Sites and other third party online properties or services. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other Web sites, and general geographic information derived from your IP address. These companies may employ cookies, clear GIFs and other tracking technologies.
Our Sites do not honor "do not track" signals transmitted by users' web browsers, so we encourage you to visit the following links if you would like to opt out of certain tracking. If you do want to opt out using these tools, you need to opt out separately for each of your devices and for each Web browser you use (like Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari) on each device.
Scholastic Canada Ltd. ensures that all information, personally and non-personally identifiable information, that it receives via the Internet is secure against unauthorised access. This information is kept in a safe and secure system, isolated from direct connection to the Internet.
In some places on our Site, parents and teachers may be able to purchase items with the use of a credit card. In such instances, Scholastic Canada Ltd. uses secure server software over a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) line, the latest technology to protect your credit card information. SSL is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your credit card information so that the information from your credit card cannot be read as it travels over the Internet.
While we have policies and procedures in place and take reasonable measures to protect the confidentiality, security and integrity of Personal Information collected on this Site, we cannot guarantee that information will be absolutely safe from intrusion during transmission, while stored on our systems, or when otherwise in our care.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
Visitors may find links from Scholastic.ca to independently owned, controlled and/or managed Internet sites whose content we have found of possible interest to our visitors. In many cases, but not always, the links represent co-operative projects or mutual links established with the organisations connected with these sites. While we initially visit these sites to which we directly link, please note that we do not monitor or control the content that appears on these sites and such content may be constantly changing. We recommend that children check with their parents or teachers before clicking off to any new sites, and we encourage children and parents to read the privacy policies of all linked sites before navigating through them.
Please note that we may revise our above policy as the content on our sites continues to change.
We hope that you enjoy exploring our site.